Hello guys. Today, I’ll be introducing you to a great android antivirus (AVG) that I have used for about three years now and sincerely, it is second to none as I have seen none like this. The ordinary version with restrictions like 30days antitheft trial, is available on the Google Playstore for free download, but the Pro version (which I am telling you about now) costs 1,600Nigerian naira on the Google Play Store.
Installing the free version of AVG AntiVirus was a snap. After I downloaded the app from Google Play, AVG prompted me to create an account using my email address. I then clicked on the link in the confirmation email and was up and running.AVG’s user interface is clean and intuitive. The top half of the home screen is divided among four buttons: Protection, Performance, Anti-Theft and Privacy.
Tapping on each button on the main menu opens a submenu with additional tools and options. Each submenu also displays specific information, such as the number of blocked calls in the Privacy menu or the amount of free storage in the Performance menu.
The bottom half of the screen features a status indicator that lets you know if your device is protected or at risk. There’s also a “Scan Now” button that launches a system scan, and a “Protect another device” button that takes you to the Google Play page for AVG Zen, a free Android app from AVG that lets you remotely scan your PCs and Android devices.
See the screenshot below
But as usual, I would be giving out this timely and useful app for free! AVG Pro offers a number of performance-enhancing utilities, including a task killer, a storage-usage tool that lets you know how much space each app takes up, and a data-plan tool that displays the amount of mobile and Wi-Fi traffic each app uses.
Here’s also a battery-consumption utility that both warns you when your device’s battery life is low and enables a power-saving mode that disables Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, auto-sync and auto-rotate, and reduces brightness and volume to 15 percent. While helpful, most of these features are already available in stock Android.
In addition, in the Performance menu there are buttons to install AVG Zen, mentioned earlier, and AVG Cleaner and Battery Booster, a single app that cleans your device’s cache, browser history, downloads and call log. Both are available for free on Google Play, though the latter requires a subscription to AVG AntiVirus Pro after a 30-day trial period.
Anti-Theft and Data Protection
If you lose your device or it’s stolen, I have already created a post for you here, but AVG lets you remotely lock the device, wipe its data, locate it via GPS or cause it to emit a loud alarm noise by sending a text message to your device with the specific command (such as “AVGLocate”) followed by your password. Alternatively, you can send these commands to your device from the Web console at m.avg.com/anti-theft.
AVG AntiVirus Pro offers a Camera Trap function that secretly takes a photo with the front-facing camera if someone fails to enter your password three times after you’ve remotely locked the device. I found that this approach more reliably captured my face than the Sneak Peek feature in Norton Mobile Security, which randomly takes a picture every few minutes.
Another Pro-only feature is Device Lock, which locks your phone if the SIM card is replaced. While this feature is helpful, McAfee, Bitdefender and Kaspersky do one better by locking the device when the SIM card is removed and sending a text to a friend or family member with your phone’s new number, and a link to its current location in Google Maps.
AVG offers a number of privacy-protection tools. A call and message blocker lets you add numbers to either a trusted list or blocked list. You can also have the phone switch to silent mode or send an auto-reply text message when you receive calls from specified numbers.
he full version of AVG AntiVirus features an App Lock tool that prevents anyone from accessing selected applications unless they enter your password, as well as an App Backup utility that stores app data on your SD card. In practice, I found App Lock a bit frustrating to use, as it required that I enter my password even if I accidentally closed the application seconds earlier. (Bitdefender waits for 30 seconds after an app has been unlocked before prompting for the PIN for this very reason.). The Privacy menu also features a button to install yet another free app, AVG’s PrivacyFix for Social Networks, which provides an in-depth examination of your privacy settings in Google Plus, Twitter and Facebook. No other Android antivirus app I’ve seen offers a similar utility! What a wonderful app indeed!
SAFE BROWSING PROTECTION
Finally, AVG provides real-time Web protection that scans pages for malicious behavior before they load, and also blocks access to risky sites. This feature works with both the original default Android browser and with Chrome, which replaces the older browser on Android 4.4 KitKat and Android 5 Lollipop. But if you use any other browser, you are excempted.
In few words, the major features of this AVG app includes;
With AVG AntiVirus PRO Android Security you can:
- Scan apps, settings, files, media, calls & text messages (SMS) in real-time
- Enable finding/locating your lost or stolen phone via Google Maps™
- Lock & wipe your phone to protect your privacy
- Kill tasks that can slow down your phone
- Browse the web safely and securely
- Monitor battery, storage and data package usage
- Filter & block unwanted calls & text messages (SMS)
In addition, when installing the premium app, you also get:
- App Lock – password protect app access
- App Backup – backup apps from your device to your SD
- Camera Trap – discreetly emails you a photo of anyone who enters 3 wrong passwords when trying to unlock your phone
- Device Lock – locks your phone whenever the SIM card is replaced
AVG AntiVirus PRO Android Security also:
- Defends against malicious apps, viruses, malware and spyware
- Identifies unsecure device settings and advises on how to fix them
- Helps ensure contacts, bookmarks & text messages are safe
- Checks media files for malicious software & security threats
- Guards you from phishing attacks
- Scan downloaded apps & files and remove malicious content
- Search, shop & use social networks with peace of mind knowing your identity & personal data are protected from phishing & malware
- Scan websites for harmful threats. If a suspicious URL is detected, you will be redirected to a “Safe Page” (applicable only to Android’s default browser and Chrome)
- Kill tasks & processes that can slow down or freeze up your device
- Monitor battery consumption, set battery level notifications & enable power saving
- Monitor traffic – keep track of your 3G/4G mobile data plan usage by getting notifications when you are near to reaching your monthly data plan limit
- Optimize internal & SD card storage space by either uninstalling apps and games or by moving them between the internal device memory and SD card
Anti-Theft & Phone Location:
Use AVG’s remote management console or text messages (SMS) to:
- Locate your lost or stolen phone and get help finding it via Google Maps™
- Lock your phone and set a lock screen message to help the locator find you
- Make your phone ring (shout) even if it is on silent mode
- Wipe your phone and SD card content
- Camera Trap: discreetly emails you a photo of anyone who enters 3 wrong passwords when trying to unlock your phone
- SIM Lock: automatically locks your phone whenever someone replaces your SIM card
- App Lock: lock apps to protect your privacy and safety or lock your device settings to secure its configuration
- App Backup: backup apps from your device to your SD card so you can restore them whenever necessary
- Call and Message Blocker: protect yourself against spammers, hackers and scammers. Get warned about suspicious text messages, filter and block unwanted calls and messages
- SMS Blocker isn’t available for Android v4.4 devices
- Wipe contacts, text messages, photos, browser history, calendar, format SD card, and restore mobile device to factory settings